This weekend we went to The Chopping Block in Chicago for the homemade dog treats demo with Chef Leah Stuckey. All of the treats were pretty tasty (of course we tried them ourselves), but the Elvis Pupcakes were the biggest hit with our four-legged family members. Because from a dog’s point of view, you can’t go wrong with bacon and peanut butter.
Elvis Pupcakes with Banana Cake, Peanut Butter Frosting, and Bacon Sprinkles
Yield: approx 12 cupcakes | Active time: 30 minutes | Start to finish: 50 minutes
For the cupcakes:
- 5 eggs
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Water as needed, to thin batter
For the frosting:
- 2 cups natural, smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
For the topping:
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, bananas, and coconut oil until well combined. Fold in the coconut flour and baking soda.
- Evenly portion the batter between the muffin tins, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Allow to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a medium size bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the peanut butter and yogurt until smooth and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes with the peanut butter-yogurt mixture, and sprinkle the tops with bacon.
Your dog will say “Thank you, thank you very much!”
Note: check with your vet before giving your pets new foods or treats. A special note about peanut butter and other ingredients – read the labels carefully to make sure they don’t contain xylitol, which is very toxic to pets.